Grade Level(s): 2-5
Resource Type: Book Companion
Total Pages: 23
Answer Key: N/A
File Type: PDF
Add a cultural twist to your fairy tale unit with Yeh-Shen: A Cinderella Story from China.
There are many versions of the Cinderella tale, but this one is believed to be the original version – written 1,000 years before the European one.
Our response activities were crafted using the six levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy, a framework for focusing on higher-order thinking skills. The taxonomies (classifications) are arranged from simple and concrete tasks to complex and abstract ones.
There are 3 activities for each level, allowing for individualization and choice.
- Label statements from the story as True or False. Rewrite false statements to make them true. (Remembering)
- Yeh-Shen’s feelings change throughout the story. Draw an emoji that expresses how she is feeling during each part of the tale, and briefly explain the cause for each emotion. (Understanding)
- Choose a wedding gift for the new couple. Draw a picture of it in the gift box. Explain what it is and why you chose it. (Applying)
- Select events and characters from the story that are examples of fantasy and reality. (Analyzing)
- Color the meter to show your rating of the story. Explain your rating, using examples from the text. (Evaluating)
- Design an app for the story. (Creating)
Perfect for small and whole group instruction, reteaching, practice, and/or assessment.