Our Australia Country Research Project is a great way to launch your study of this island continent!
Students work independently, with a partner, or in a small group to research Australia’s geography and culture using classroom books and websites. They complete a variety of activities to show what they’ve learned, and glue them into a journal – creating a wonderful artifact to share and keep.
- Maps: (world, continent, country) labeling maps; creating a compass rose and a map key
- Country stats: recording the population, area, products, and climate
- Flag: coloring a sample flag; writing a description of what the colors and symbols mean
- Currency: identifying and coloring a sample coin and bill
- Language: learning common words/phrases
- Food: planning a menu for a day
- Sports: naming sports/activities that are popular
- Animals: identifying, then classifying by group
- Clothing: illustrating (or constructing) traditional clothing on paper dolls
- Famous People: identifying individuals and their achievement(s)
- Holidays: describing the traditions of several holidays