The Magical Adventures of Sophie Sue is a new series of children’s books written and illustrated by Stef Albert.
Described as a “rescue mission with a positive message,” a dachshund named Sophie Sue and her animal friends travel around the globe (land, air, and sea) to help other animals in need. During each adventure, the reader is introduced to important topics while learning interesting facts about our diverse world.
The series carries a strong message of kindness to animals and includes important lessons such as following your dreams, greed vs. gratitude, physical challenges, the responsibilities of pet ownership, and more.
Before Reading Activities
- Print the Sophie Sue discussion guide.
- Learn about the magic of Sophie Sue and meet her animal friends in this video.
- Learn the lyrics to the theme song of The Magical Adventures of Sophie Sue. (Warning: it is a catchy tune and you will find yourself humming it for hours!)
- Sing along with the theme song cartoon.
- Locate South Africa on a map or globe. Identify what continent it is on (emphasizing that Africa is NOT a country), its neighboring countries, and what oceans surround it.
- Distinguish between the continent of Africa and the country of South Africa. #africaisnotacountry
- Introduce vocabulary: endangered, safari, bushveld
In the first book of the series, readers travel to South Africa with Sophie Sue and her animal friends as they attempt to rescue Robbie Rhino and his parents. Topics include the endangered status of rhinos, African animals, and a bit of South African culture.
The story begins with Sophie Sue’s sparkling Magic Ball sending her a message. She looks into the ball and sees a baby rhino in South Africa that needs help. His parents have been taken by thieves. The team learns that rhinos are endangered and they decide they want to go help!
Readers are sure to enjoy the description of Sophie Sue’s transformation (hint… Weiner-Copter) while learning some introductory facts about Africa and South Africa as the team starts their adventure.
The excitement builds as the team arrives on the scene and works together to catch the thieves. The author’s use of sounds to describe the action makes it fun for younger listeners to participate in the reading – “Brrrrm” (revving the engine), “Psssst, pfffff” (tires collapsing), “ka-bang” (truck crashing).
During the mission, stop and ask students what they would do, or would recommend one of the characters do to catch the thieves. Remind them to consider the unique qualities of each animal. “How might the ostrich use his strong and fast legs?” Continue reading, and change or confirm predictions along the way.
After completing their mission, the team celebrates, learns how to say thank you in two different South African languages, and heads back to Freedom Farm in Ghumpa Ghog… until their next adventure.
More Sophie Sue adventures are set to be released soon. Follow along on rescue missions around the world as the friends travel to:
- India to rescue elephants from hard labor and thirst
- Germany to rescue a puppy in Frankfurt
- Milan to rescue a Mina Mouse from a pet shop
- Croatia to save a crab named Caspar
- Paris to rescue captured animals from a mean Circus Master
- Barcelona to rescue Bartolo Bull from a bull fight
Click on the map to find out more!
Grab a “Quick View,” and Order/Preorder here.
Become a Sophie Sue Ambassador! A note from the author:
“Sophie Sue is dedicated to bringing joy and fun to lesser fortunate and sick children around the world. We care deeply about those in hospitals, with special needs, orphaned or challenged. Spreading the message about kindness and good will and bringing happiness to children is the very essence of The Magical Adventures of Sophie Sue. If you would like to volunteer and read to lesser fortunate or sick children in hospitals in your area, please contact us! We also welcome any suggestions you may have about bringing Sophie Sue and her animal friends to those in need. Drop us a note and become a Sophie Sue Ambassador! We will send you a copy of one of the stories to read and spread the love of Sophie Sue.”
Related Resources from Globe Trottin’ Kids
- Download our FREE Character Traits poster and graphic organizer to analyze positive character traits in the story.
- Learn more about the geography and culture of South Africa with our Country Research Project.
- Read our Blog Posts: South Africa’s Cultural Ambassadors – Ladysmith Black Mambazo; A Taste of South Africa; South Africa’s Flag: A Symbol of Unity and Progress; A Journey in South Africa; The Big Three; South Africa’s First Olympians
This book was sent to me by the author for review. All opinions are my own. The book is being donated to a local second grade classroom on Tuesday, February 14 for International Book Giving Day. #bookgivingday