It’s been a great week collaborating with other global educators for our Global Learning in the Elementary Classroom miniseries. We featured information, resources, and activities to teach our youngest learners about world geography and cultures. To conclude this series, we’re sharing a round-up of resources for kids to use as they explore and learn about the world.
Global Learning Resources – for Kids
It is important to create plenty of opportunities for kids to learn through their own exploration and play. Preview websites, and prepare “Global Learning” and “Global Games” folders with bookmarked resources. Here are some of our favorites. We’re always looking for more to add, so please share your suggestions in the comments.
- Globe Trottin’ Kids Explore the world using an interactive map. Country profile pages provide an infographic, map, photographs and more. Links to global learning games and websites are included under the “Student” tab.
- Joy Sun Bear Join a curious sun bear cub as he travels the world and discovers new cultures. Print fun coloring pages, learn cultural crafts, try new recipes, and lots more!
- Global Trek Adventures and Journal (Scholastic) Create an itinerary and start a travel journal while learning facts about countries, taking guided tours, and meeting the country’s people. Educators: Read the Teacher’s Guide for a project description, learning objectives, assessment and rubrics, lesson suggestions, and more!
- National Geographic Kids Explore the world by clicking on a country. Learn about its people, culture, history, and more. Watch videos of animals, places, science, history, culture and lots more.
- AirPano View amazing 360 degree aerial panoramas, photo galleries, and virtual tours from around the world. Fly over Iguazu Falls on the border of Argentina and Brazil or take a grand tour of Moscow, Russia to see 107 panoramas of its most interesting places.
- Here There Everywhere News For Kids Connect and introduce kids to the people and events shaping their world. Categories include world, people, nature, politics, Wow!, weather, sports, science, and more.
- DOGOnews Current events and articles about the world, environment, sports, social studies, and science. Audio versions are available.
- World Stories Read stories from around the world. Choose by language (more than 25) or by story collection (adventure, animal, bedtime, folk, long, short). Register for free to download the MP3 and access resources and lesson plans.
- International Children’s Digital Library Turn the globe and click on a continent to select books from different countries, in different languages. We enjoyed reading the English/Spanish version of “The Silly Chicken”/”El Pollo Bobo” which is also available in Dari/Pashto.
- Mama Lisa’s World Listen to songs and rhymes from around the globe (many include videos too). Search by continent, country, language, or type of song (birthday, folk, jump rope rhymes, etc).
- Daria World Music for Children Have fun with music! Kids can learn about instruments used around the world, listen to silly songs, and watch videos of recent songs, animations, and more.
- Putumayo Kids Sample songs from a variety of CDs, including Cuban Playground, French Playground, Italian Playground, Latin Dreamland, World Sing-Along, and more.
- Mapman Answer four geography questions from Scholastic’s cartographer. Interesting facts are provided after each question. Browse the Archive for additional quizzes.
- Geography Games by Sheppard Software Investigate tutorials, and play leveled quizzes (from “beginner” to “cartographer”) to learn about capitals, countries, and landscapes of different regions around the globe.
- Ducksters Geography Games Identify U.S. states and world countries, capitals, and flags. Solve crossword puzzles and word searches, and play Geography Hangman and Country Guessing Game.
- World Geography Games Test your geographical knowledge with these quizzes about countries, capitals, flags, bodies of water, landforms and other topics.
Global Learning in the Elementary Classroom Miniseries
Catch up on other posts in the series:
Joy Sun Bear tells us about their mission, website, upcoming book series, and educational learning activities.
Kid World Citizen shares 4 ways to introduce global learning into a classroom.
Globe Trottin’ Kids highlights the need for children to learn about the world through their own exploration and play and features a round-up of learning resources.