Giving Thanks: A Native American Good Morning Message
Mohawk parents have traditionally taught their children to start each day by giving thanks to Mother Earth.
“To be a human being is an honor, and we offer thanksgiving for all the gifts of life,” begins the Thanksgiving Address.
This Native American good morning message is based on the belief that the natural world is a precious and rare gift. The whole universe–from the moon and the stars to the tiniest blade of grass–is addressed as one great family.
It is a celebration of the beauty of Mother Earth, which Chief Jake Swamp of the Mohawk Nation, who is also a founder of the Tree of Peace Society, has adapted especially for readers of all ages. – Lee & Low Books
Giving Thanks Teaching Resources
Listen to the story narrated by Chief Jake Swamp & enjoy the beautiful illustrations by Erwin Printup.
Free Teacher’s Guide –Lee & Low
- Pre and Post Reading Focus Discussion and Questions
- Reader’s Response Journal Prompts
- ELL/ESL Teaching Strategies
- Interdisciplinary Activities (Science, Math, Music, Art, and more)
Support Materials –Reading is Fundamental
- word search, memory match, and criss-cross online activities
- Guides for Educators, Parents & Families, and Community Coordinators
- Extension Activities
- Vocabulary Scaffold